Wednesday, February 9

Yellow......everywhere.

I could rant on all day about the state of UK politics but that's enough for a whole blog, not just a single post. I just had to make a comment, that's all.

I've never seen so many police in my life.

If I'd have seen any more in the short space of time it took me to walk home I'd have had retina damage from the obscene glow of their fluorescent yellow jackets.

This man:-



will be here



on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for this years Labour Party conference. Oh, and don't worry, the two pictures aren't to the same scale. I could make the obvious one liner to follow that last statement but I won't simply because it's too easy.

I work no more than two minutes walk from the Sage, on the Gateshead side of the Tyne river, and walk past it either way each day. With the police, the anti-ramraid barriers, the metal fences, the police bikes, police cars, police speedboats and what can only be described as the gangs of police wandering around, it felt very strange walking the same route tonight.

Yes, I know I used police twice in that list - that's how many police there were.

The scary thing is that this is only Wednesday evening and the conference is not until Friday - what on earth will it be like by then ? The estimate is 1000 police in that area during the conference. Oh, and the hunt lobby. And the anti-hunt protesters. And the Anti-Capitalist lobby.

I could be wrong and it all goes off ok but the words "Warzone, anybody ?" come to mind.

Watch your news over the next few days and you'll see it - that's one thing for certain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home