Friday, February 4

Sign o' the times.

Learn to sign.

I won't go into the reasons for this but set aside a moment, every now and again, to learn to sign or finger-spell. You don't have to be deaf to add this to your skills.

I'm not saying you have to give up your job to re-train as an interpreter, or that you have to be able to sign fluently at 420mph at a range of 3miles but just that it's easy to pick up the basics and I'd like to think people (or at least one person) may have a go after reading this.

I was shown the 26 letters of the alphabet twice and they stuck. If I can do it from this then it must be easy.

So, in a change from the usual drivel I post on here, I'm simply saying for you to at least think about it.


I'm not saying these following links are the best, or the official ones, but they're the clearest ones with which to start. Get the alphabet under your belt and then maybe add a handful of basic words.

Some links:-

British Sign Language

American Sign Language

3 Comments:

At 9:03 am, Blogger arthur decko said...

i can think of a few good non traditional (e.g. communicating with actual deaf folks) uses for signing. and you are right, i should. i desperately want to say i will, but i know me, i am lazy, i won't.

you are right though, more people should learn. they should teach it in kindergarten, so everyone just knows it.

 
At 9:11 am, Blogger Just Somebody said...

Just 26 letters. Do one letter a day for a month then use the remaining few days to brush upon the ones you can't remember. Easy.

You're right though - teach kids to sign when they're young enough to absorb it as "play" and take it onboard for life. Good call.

 
At 8:32 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

It's a long story but basically there's a lady in hospital at the moment really rather ill and I originally learnt to sign (well, just finger spell, to be honest) in order to speak to her.

She's the nana of my ex (and still good friend) that I moved up to the north-east to be with - she was a lovely woman and it just made me think of the whole signing thing.

Just seemed appropriate, that's all.

Still CP though, the usual rubbish is only a post away, I'm sure ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home