Sunday, January 30

Who killed my scruples ?

We all have unwritten rules buried away deep down - rules which we decide to live by.

I don't mean important ones like not killing things or voting in every ballot possible but daft things that are quite personal. You know, those stupid things that are far more important.

I have them too. Things like mushrooms being inherently of another world.

Well, today I broke one of them. See, there is a point to this ramble.

One rule for me has always been to give a wide berth to any band or artist featuring a sax player. I'm sure they're good at what they do but, for me, it's always been a thing to ruin otherwise perfectly good music.

Then along came The Zutons and the rule went out of the window.



Sax on every track, welded in amongst the Scouse revival acid-folkrock (you try defining this), and it's glorious stuff. Heck, I didn't even baulk at the jews harp on one of them.

Not a bad track on the album and, for once, the singles aren't the best on offer.

I'm still not eating mushrooms though - they're evil.

2 Comments:

At 9:27 pm, Blogger Ray Banks said...

I felt exactly the way you did the first few times I heard it. Then, after a couple of listens, naaaathing. Still sitting at the bottom of a pile.

 
At 8:13 am, Blogger Just Somebody said...

It's one of those that drops away quickly, is it ?

This is exactly where downloading comes into it's own. If it turns out to stick with me then I'll buy it but otherwise I'll consider this a timely warning !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home