Saturday, March 19

Round, shiny and really, REALLY loud......

Ok - 98% of you just won't get this, and another 1% will...but hate it... but I guess that's the joy of doing a blog. Sometimes it's nice to be direct, serious and change the world - person by person. Other times it's nice to just be uber personal and write stuff for yourself.

This is the latter, and then some.

Got the new Strapping Young Lad album "Alien" this morning and I'm currently restraining myself from running round the room like a lunatic with it blaring out of the speakers. The neighbours downstairs (hell, half the street) must be hating the noise coming from here right now.

You must all know how much music means to me and this is one of the bands featuring Devin Townsend, the Canadian maniac who is the zenith of what makes me tick sonically. Ha, I used 'zenith' in a post - god, I'm becoming so pretentious !

Ain't that just bloody great though ?

I'm 37 years old and insanely loud, ludicrus slabs of metal music STILL really get to me. That magic moment when a new album plays is, even in this day of leaked MP3's and the like, still just the biggest buzz ever.

Lucretia, you'll know the feeling when Al's last platter hit the shelves, yeah ? That's where I am right now - only at twice the noise and triple the bpm.

For those of you more than a little puzzled (ie virtually all of you) about this random act of music-related praise go and see the Strapping site or the Devin Townsend site, or just go a little crazy in your own way to this track - shitstorm - from the album.

You'll all be thanking me tomorrow - or deaf, obviously ;o)

7 Comments:

At 9:20 pm, Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

No offense, but I got about 8 seconds into it...lol. After a few drinks I'll check it out again. The sound was slightly reminiscent of Slipknot, which scare the piss out of me. Although I completely get the power of music, whatever it may be. Good for you!

 
At 9:40 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

That's probably the loudest track on the album but, as I'm a good boy (at least on the surface), it's the only one being given away on the bands site and therefore the one it's 'ok' to share.

You gave it a try so, whether you love it or hate it, that's more than fine by me. Give it a full spin though, if you can - you'll miss the singalong choir and the change in style later through !

As for the Slipknot reference, I can see what you mean, but they're pop music compared to this lot ;o)

 
At 6:31 pm, Blogger Ray Banks said...

HELLO? CAN ANYONE HEAR ME? I APPEAR TO HAVE GONE DEAF.

 
At 7:18 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

Lucretia: I know I'm never going to be able to convince you of this but there's some amazing rhythm's and hooks embedded in there. Conversion attempts will be falling on deaf ears I think...which brings me to......

Ray: Hard to believe there's an acoustic ballad on the same album and they recorded a cover of Tom Jones' "What's New Pussycat ?" for the album too ISN'T IT !!

 
At 10:00 pm, Blogger arthur decko said...

um, i don't know what you mean by "not get it" cause i seem to understand quite well, and i don't hate it at all. age has nothing to do with music appreciation. rock on. oh, and "shitstorm" reminds me a bit of old venom, only much faster. it's not bad.

 
At 10:16 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

Venom ! Wow - not heard that name in a while. Cronos, the lead singer came from this neck of the woods too, did you realise that ? One of the first metallers in that style was a north-east Geordie !!

 
At 2:48 pm, Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Um... if 98% won't get it and 1% will... what happens to the other 1%?...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home