Sunday, February 13

George not as "gorgeous" as David.

Just watched "Oceans Eleven" for the first time. Yeah, that's 11 and not 12. Ok, I'm a sequel behind the rest of the world. Sue me.

Fluff, but clever twist-laden fluff. Quite a good melding of such a cast of luminaries and cool from titles to credits. Pretty entertaining all told.

The lasting impression in my head when it finished ?

I'd not heard the David Holmes track "Gritty Shaker" for ages and I'd forgotten how good it was. Must go and dig out the "Let's get killed" album and slap it on my MP3 player. May even throw the album at Ray - he might like it.

I love film but I guess music will always just nudge it down to a close second.

Edit: Just spinning it now and considering it came out in '97 it still sounds stupidly vital and fresh some 7 or 8 years later. This is the sound of Irish savvy in a sharp New York suit, doing deals in the back alleys.

Nobody else could get away with following a groovy guitar and xylophone dub-fest with a blaxploitation funk version of the James Bond theme and then hitting a dub like Strummer had mated with Lee "Scratch" Perry.

Genius.

2 Comments:

At 12:27 am, Blogger Ray Banks said...

You know what I remember most about Oceans Eleven?

Don Cheadle's fucking awful Cockney accent.

 
At 10:31 am, Blogger arthur decko said...

i can't wait until "oceans 22" when they are all old and fat and pull a hiest to get extra pudding at the old folks home. hey, that's pretty funny, i should put that on my blog...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home