Saturday, February 12

An award winner you can enjoy with your eyes shut.

Just watched this years (or, in real money, last years) BAFTA's and it brought a large, warm smile to my face.

It wasn't for the films, though there have now been a few additions finally cemented into my "to see" list.

It wasn't for any of the actors or actresses, but Luliette Lewis saying of Stephen Fry in her deep southern drawl "I like him cos he's funny" did make me chuckle. Also Kate Winslet being nominated twice in the same categorey and not winning was something of a change.

Stephen himself was as polished a host as ever, though maybe a little restrained this year to these eyes.

No, it was the "Fellowship" award - the highest award given each year - that made me glad to have bothered watching.

For the first time in BAFTA's history it went to a composer - John Barry. To my mind it's long bloody overdue - the man is a genius at his art. Anybody who can score such amazingly memorable work for things as diverse as Born Free, James Bond, Midnight Cowboy, The Ipcress File, Dances With Wolves.....heck, I'm not listing them all.

Go here, read and be amazed.

Oh, and listen too. Never forget to listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home