Saturday, January 22

I am geek - hear me bleep.

I've often wondered what makes a person truly earn their 'geek' badge. It's a word thrown about by many but never really explained in terms of what really makes that line to cross before you know you are one deep down.

Ladies and gentleman, my name is Carpathian and I've crossed the line.

Video gaming has long since stopped being the domain of the silicon saddo - everybody is doing it these days and in some ways it's those that don't game in some form that are more unusual.

However, this is where I've earned my badge.

I bought a copy of Retro Gamer magazine and was actually excited that it contained a cd on the cover with emulator software for the Vic-20, Commodore 16, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, Atari 8bit, MSX and ZX81 along with 65 Llamasoft games from the stable of Jeff Minter.

This, in itself, is not that bad - I even work with people both younger and older than myself that would be interested in these.

The final straw is that it also contains emulation of the Sharp X68000 arcade board and I actually remember the board and recognise the number.

I commened myself to the mercy of my readers.

6 Comments:

At 4:11 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

Not even rallying games ? I'm sure you must have been lured by a certain blue item in the past ?

 
At 4:42 pm, Blogger -- said...

I don't recognize that arcade board, but I'm quite familiar with C-64 and Amiga-500, as I've had both of those.

My "console" history goes from playing NES at friends houses, and owning a Playstation(1), and XBOX.

..Perhaps no geek-status for me, then..

Oh! Do you remember those "game-and-watch" things? Like donkey kong, and mario's cement factory, and greenhouse? ..Those I really liked. It was a LCD screen handheld, and some of them had two (!) screens, much like that new nintendo (or psx) has now. ..This was in the 80's/early 90's, btw..

 
At 4:52 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

rempinjoto: You were going well until the sound of excitement in your voice at the mention of thos "game-and-watch" things. I think some would consider that earning a stripe of geekness.

Lucretia: Tanks are cool - I expect you to find a good tank picture and I'll do the same. Best tank wins.

 
At 5:00 pm, Blogger Rambling Rose Cottage said...

I stumbled upon your blog and it made me smile! Thanks!

 
At 5:18 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

Thanks !

 
At 6:48 pm, Blogger -- said...

Carp: Hehe, I know. And I _really_ dug those G&W things, even though I didn't have that many of them. You might find them silly, but they were compelling in their own way. =)

Lucretia: What _is it_ with those tanks? =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home