Tuesday, November 22

A wonderful trip to SynchroniCity

I had all sorts of things lined up to post but have been hijacked by another case of an unexpected visit to musical SynchroniCity. If you've never been there I can assure you it's a rather lovely place.

Only a couple of weeks ago I was on a train early in the morning and heard Kate Bush's new album for the first time. As the second disc, based around the passing of a day, built up the sun rose in front of me and it was a stunning moment where everything fitted just so. The sun rose on the album and I was watch it actually happening in front of me. As much as I love music and can be a bit of an aesthete at times this doesn't happen fully that often.

It has this morning though. I walked out of the Metro on the way in to work and things conspired again.

I know it's hard to get a feeling like that across but I'll try. It's starkly winter cold and a heavy fog is blanketing everything. The first Christmas lights were giving the whiteout a wonderful warm coloured glow and as I left the station and the frozen air hit my face "Glasoli" by Sigur Ros (purveyors of some of the finest widescreen music you'll ever here) kicked into gear and I was magically transported to SynchroniCity again.

It's really kind of odd when everything meshes like that - the cold, the mist, the lights, the xylophones, the strings, the vocals et al. You could sit and plan things for a week and still not achieve that sort of feeling.

"It's just music" somebody once told me when I excitedly explained this sort of thing to them.

No it's not - at times like this it's so much more than that.

1 Comments:

At 12:59 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

The more I listen to Sigur Ros as the Winter kicks in, the more of these moments I'm having.

When I leave work at the moment it's really dark, cold and crisp and the quayside is lit with all sorts of coloured lights which end up reflected in the river. Pretty much any track off any of their albums fit's that sort of place so well that if I wasn't walking home I'd probably just stand on the bridge itself and let a whole album pass me by. Bliss. Sheer bliss.

I had a discussion with a few people a while ago about whether some bands or albums "fit" a season more than others and it seem this is one that's found it's home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home