Saturday, May 7

Phones, grindcore and pickled cabbage fish.

Ying and Yang.

Night and Day.

Mike and Bernie Winters.

Yes, many things have halves that you either love or hate, sometimes within a short time of each other. Today was one of those days

Not a good start to the day. Struggling with a shiny new phone that joyfully announces a new text message like a small puppy yapping hello. Then, a short while later, it brings me the same one again. And again. And again. And once more. Etc bloody Etc.

Trailed into town to get a replacement SIM card, fitted it and....well, nothing. Just the same. Seems therefore it'll be a case of new shiny phone going back into the darkness of it's box and being sent back for a replacement.

This actually makes me very sad. Partly for the hassle, partly as the phone is damn good but mostly as I've realised just how materialistic AND geeky I truly am. It's only going back for a replacement - it's not dead or kidnapped or lost a leg - and I'm actually sad. Sigh.

Aside from this we have Lucretia sounding like the world is getting her down, Retarius removing his blog, Ray winning nothing and another blog-buddy working for the next few days and mostly out of contact. Now that pile of things I have no embarrasment being sad about. These are things featuring real people. Well, I assume they're all real.

"So where is the other half of this cosmic see-saw, Carpy ?" I hear you ask.

Well, to cheer myself up some shopping took place. Some people call it 'Retail Therapy' but I prefer to think of it as 'buying stuff that makes you smile'. More honest, don't you think ?

So, in a musical double-whammy I grabbed an old Napalm Death shirt and the new Napalm Death album, The Code Is Red... Long Live the Code (featuring guest vocal cameos by Jello Biafra, Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta, and Carcass's Jeff Walker)


Napalms unapologetic anti-Nazi classic


Loud and proud - the new album....

Also, in a smile-inducing lack of self control I've been weak and ended up buying more wacky oriental goodies alongside a tray of seafood sushi. Cold fish and sticky rice - doesn't that just make your mouth water ?


Noodles with flavours that scare at 30 paces....

Why don't we get "Sichuan Pickles Instant vermicelli", "Original Hot and Sour Sweet Potato Noodles" and the classic "Pickled Cabbage Fish Sweet Potato Noodles" ?. We should, because there are some days tomato or french onion just don't do it for me.




Some delicious Sushi rolls and a fresh batch of savoury Mung Bean pastries.

Also ended up with a Hung Fook Tong Sour Plum Drink and some Unif Green Tea with Jasmine Flower. Oh, and some Hometown Egg Rolls.

I'm off to write a quick email to somebody and drown my sorrows in a giant mug of sticky toffee hot chocolate.

3 Comments:

At 12:16 am, Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Now, the hot chocolate sounds good, but otherwise, you must have a steel-lined gut, mister! Yikes! I am a bit of a self-admitted food wuss, though.

I'm sure your phone situation will end up just fine. Looks like you could make those fun videos and things on it! (Mine isn't that advanced.)

Interesting that I never equated Carpathian with Asian, huh...

 
At 4:50 pm, Blogger Jen Jordan said...

Ah! A few lovely California rolls and one would hope a good helping of wasabi. Wash it down with my favorite beer, Tsing Tao, and nirvana has been reached.

Finish off the evening with chrysanthemum tea... oh, I'm happy just thinking about it.

 
At 4:56 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

You mentioned Tsing Tao ! Good call - that's a great choice ! You earn an official "Towers Point" for that - although you can't redeem them for anything of course. Just a marketing gimmick.

Personally, I'd go for the Chun Mee single-estate green tea but I'd have to agree that it was a great way to chill after a patchy Saturday........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home