Thursday, April 28

McDonations towards food for thought.....

There's been a lot said and written about it but I finally got to see it tonight - just about a lifetime behind everybody else.

Yep, tonight was my first portion of "Super Size Me".



At this precise moment, as the credits roll, I basically feel like not eating pretty much anything ever. Well, obviously not literally, that would be the most extreme idea when it came to losing weight...permanently.

It's more that even though I've been losing weight slowly and reasonably sensibly over the last 10 months (around 35lbs) I'm already thinking of my fridge contents and wanting to throw stuff out. Even things that are maybe average health wise - it just makes you rethink even the good practices you have for NON-fast food.

With around 30mins to go, there's a change of tone. For those yet to see it I won't say how it moves but you can probaly guess that Morgan Spurlock wasn't turning cartwheels and planning to run the NY marathon. To say this ends up compulsive and compelling viewing really is an understatement.

The thing, I'm guessing, that many will miss is that this is not a film about McDonalds. You could insert any chain or type of over-processed, 'easy' food in place of the arches and get a similar result. The scary thing is the rising number of people doing pretty much that normally, without a documentary to make.

Having typed this I'm not entirely sure what it's made me feel like or just how much I'll take from this over the next days, months or whatever but I'd imagine it'll pop into my head when going for that extra portion of something or feeling like just grabbing something to tide me over.

Either way, I think it's safe to say that the only thing to super size is more programming like this.

2 Comments:

At 1:12 pm, Blogger arthur decko said...

first off...so do you order from design toscano? cause that is where i got some of my gargoyles..

the whole food thing bothers me and scares me a little, honestly. i breifly switched to only unprocessed (as much as i could) foods and lost wieght and felt better, which made me more paranoid about the crap i put in my body. that said, i just ate a bag of chips, so there you have it. i don't like fast food though, it doesn't sit well with me...

 
At 2:26 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

The gargoyle was actually from a small market in London but, for the life of me, I can't remember which. I know lugging it halfway up the country was a bad idea as it was damn heavy.....

As for the food thing, it sounds like you're in the same space as me when it comes to altering eating habits - I've been doing that for a while now. It helps that I love vegetables and fruit so it makes life a little easier when cooking etc and I don't feel forced into eating things against my will.

I do like takeaway food to an extent but just now and then. It also means that you appreciate it more too - I'm sure the last takeaway curry I had tasted far better for being my first for 7 weeks !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home