Monday, January 24

Lines... colours... action !

Just a quick heads-up to a site I've been a fan of for a long time.

Pop over to explodingdog and witness some of the most simple, though somehow amazingly unsettling, drawings ever conceived.

An example ? Try "i hate the coffee at work" then have a try of any of the others - they're pretty much all on target like this.

It's a simple process of readers sending a short abstract title and Sam, the site owner, then draws the pictures from what that conjures up. It has to be said, they make great desktop bitmaps.....if the PC is in an asylum.

5 Comments:

At 3:44 pm, Blogger -- said...

It's a good concept, and effort, and everything, but I just can't find what's 'unsettling' about any of them?

It seems to go for the cliche "going insane; ho-hooh!" -pattern, which is fine, just not that freaky anymore..

Nice site, tho; I've never seen it before..

 
At 4:04 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

Some *are* of that obvious "madness" style but others are really simple and subtle.

I think it's just something about the ultra-simplistic, almost child-like drawings that make them feel a little odd when combined with some of the subject matter.

Either way it's an odd place and certainly worth a browse through.....

 
At 4:15 pm, Blogger -- said...

Yeah, it's a super place, it definitely is. And the person obviously has skills, for the pictures, in their minimalism, they display some form of perfectionism, which is nice; it's nice art.

Childlike, yeah. I associated them with a "Kid-Quasimodo"; -treasuring his moist lump of sand in the shadowy corner of a sandbox; with froth to go with it; "Mee like saaaaaand!" ..;the figures all give me that kind of impression.

..Maybe that's what you mean by 'unsettling', but FFS, it's art, man.. ART! =)

 
At 4:56 pm, Blogger Ray Banks said...

I would like to point out that this post appeared after Carp's official lunch hour had ended. This means that he's busy scouring the internet when he should be dealing with whiney fuckin' bitch customers. I shall forward this to his line manager immediately.

 
At 4:57 pm, Blogger Ray Banks said...

I have just realised that I posted that when I'm supposed to be working. I shall forgo the line manager forwarding type thing and remain quiet in the corner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home