Friday, June 24

I'm apologising to myself...but not meaning it for one minute....

Just caught the first two tracks of tonight's creaking-under-it's-own-assumed-coolness that is Top Of The Pops.

The weird thing is that the two tracks are things that, in principle, this Carpathian should abhor.....but I didn't.

First broke my golden rule of dance acts lifting parts of old tracks and trading off them now. the Audio Bullys featuring Nancy Sinatra doing "Shot You Down" is, frankly, mesmerising. Her voice is as amazing as ever on that haunting track and the crunching cut-ups and beats don't for some reason distract from it in any way. Just the opposite in fact - the drop outs leaving her even more in the forefront.

Second one was even more of a shock as it broke both Carpathians first rule (see prev mention) AND added the fact it was a rap artist. Kanye West performed "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" complete with {draws breath} the use of Shirley Bassey singing "Diamonds Are Forever" and some stupidly big strings. How in the name of all that's audio does that have ANY right to work ??

Both did though and I'm most surprised. I've always told everybody that'll listen (and many that would rather not) about my varied taste in music but even I'm raising an eyebrow at myself right now.

It's the thought of what could be the next thing to surprise myself with that worries me.....

1 Comments:

At 2:04 am, Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Rumor has it that variety is indeed the spice of life. Enjoy this new surprise! After all, you aren't jammin' to the Willy Wonka song. (Are you?!) =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home