Friday, May 27

If music be the food of love, pass me the blender.......

The time has come, the Walrus paraphrased, to sort out many things......


When I moved house a couple of years ago I made a snap decision to do something seemingly foolish, but ultimately brilliant.

I let my CD's get horribly mixed up and then stacked them as such onto my shelves.

Yeah, crazy eh ?

There was logic in my apparent madness though. I came to the conculsion that when you know where all your favourite or regular listens are, and you fancy something to put on, you're more likely to grab something from that and let the others languish away. The thing about this is that most of those in the second division of being chosen are as loved as the ones that are like old friends - it's simply that they don't get the listens. Pick one up and play it and you realise how much you like it and wonder why it's taken so long to play it.

Therefore, mixing things up like I did was great for looking for album A and accidently browsing past album B and grabbing that instead. I couldn't tell you how much fun I've had rediscovering artists I've just not got round to over the last few years.

All good things come to an end though.

Now the novelty has worn off and the thrill of the new has faded, I'm left with the downside. If I really want a certain album it takes me an age to find the bloody thing. Last night was the final straw (cd) that broke the camels (Carpathians) back (patience).

Trying to find "Themes from Williams Blakes 'The Marriage of Heaven and Hell'", the avant-garde metal poem-reinventing sprawl-fest by gods of bafflingness Ulver, took me nearly 15mins.

Now, there's a point where "fumbling music related fun" becomes "annoying scrabbling searching" and this, I think, was a musical foot crossing the line. I've concluded, therefore, that having around 1200 CD's out of order is a little, well, out of order.

This three day weekend will see this Carpathian littering The Towers with piles of CD's in what I'm going to call my yearly homage to Nick Hornby.

Wish me luck, folks - I think it's going to be a busy weekend. Still, I'm not going to be short of music to see me through.

It's just where I'm going to find it, that's all............

2 Comments:

At 10:48 am, Blogger Onkroes said...

Excellent, I worked with the 'scattered/unfiled' approach for years, and it came to the point where I knew where the cd's were, and always put them back in the same, mixed-up place. Then when I last moved I did the same thing as you now, and sorted them into alphabetical order.

Oh I felt better, if I wanted a CD I could find it immediately. But I did miss the random finding "oh I'd almost forgotten about that, I'll just give it a listen".

Then I got an iPod and wanted to record my music. Great, but it meant taking almost all my cds off the shelves. Then I put them back - randomly (because I was too lazy to sort them back the way they should be)!

And since then - I've pretty much not used cds - I listen to my iPod, plugged into whatever I can plug it into to get the tunes out. It goes nicely with my hifi, and I can set it on shuffle and get to hear tunes I haven't heard for years. Brilliant.

So my advice is, get an iPod, get some connecting cables and go for it. CDs are the past.

But good luck with the sorting anyway. :-)

 
At 1:00 am, Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

I tried keeping my CDs in order. I really did. I even bought these two fabulous towers complete with decorative ironwork. The problem? They have slots. That means that should I have one single CD out of order, or when I add one to my collection, I have to move every single one. Then there is the horror when I get that rare CD that can't be easily categorized for whatever reason... ugh. Lucky for me I've learned to put them back where I want and not be concerned. My questionable memory bank prevents me from going directly for the favorites and skipping over others. Guess there is one good thing to be said for having a bad memory. I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home