Saturday, April 2

It's not much to ask, is it ?

To paraphrase a certain bunch of dancing clotheshorses I'll tell you what I want, what I really REALLY want in a film.

1) I want to be able to sit through a whole film and not think to myself "Oh, I remember seeing that twist/surprise used in a film before". I want to be thinking about the film I'm watching at that moment.

2) I want disaster movies to NOT have one diehard scientist or politician that refuses to believe the solution put forward to them because of the cost or the fact "It's just crazy".

3) I want a main character - you know, the big poster star - to die/vanish/leave early enough to surprise the audience. If a big star starts the film we all know there's a 90% chance they'll be there at the end.

4) I want foreign characters to speak their own language if they would be doing so in real life. The days of old school war films etc where everybody speaks English except with their relative dodgy accents should be long gone by now.

5) I want a film which has a title that doesn't end in 2, 3, 4, 5, too, again, returns etc.

6) I want to see a film shot entirely from the main characters eyes. We see what they see, nothing more and nothing less. There, if you need an idea - use it with my blessing.

7) I want things based on new writing - not books, history, biographies or merged half-fact reconstructions.


Finally, most of all:

I want some of these things to not seem such wild requests in the current climate. I know great films are out there but it shouldn't be a case of so few diamonds among so many turds.

I've not had a rant on here for a while and you're safe now, this one's done.

3 Comments:

At 5:21 pm, Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

I second #6. Personally, I'd like to see a scheduled bathroom break for those of us that have a hamster-bladder. But thats just me =)

 
At 5:27 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

A hamster bladder ?

Wow - that's an advance I'd not heard of in medical transplant science !

 
At 8:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today. Is the day. I am. Getting a copy of:

Sin City.

My impression of William Shatner wasn't perfect but you get the jest. Now, now - don't hate me. I'm going to lend it to you if it's a good copy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home