Wednesday, January 5

Don't mind me - I'm just digging an escape tunnel...

Oh well, that's that then.

I've just sent a chunk of draft story and a handful of work-in-progress poems and rhymes to be looked at by somebody.

The bizarre thing is that you'd think wanting people to read what I've written would be half of the point. Now I've sent them off and there's no recalling the mail I'm somewhat of a fluster that somebody else can actually read them without me over their shoulder pointing out what it would say "when it's been worked on more".

Is this normal for someone that writes in any form, or is it maybe because up until now it's been primarily for me and for the enjoyment of the actual doing ? I'd be curious views on this whole "letting things fly" thing. I know I've no idea !

I'm off to make some food - possibly something cosy like a grilled tuna steak and a heap of green veg. I feel a bottle of wine being opened somewhere in the immediate future too - that'll be more required than enjoyed.

7 Comments:

At 7:55 pm, Blogger Jen Jordan said...

First - how does one 'feel' a bottle of wine being opened before the fact? Consumption by osmosis?

Second - except in cases of ghostwriting and being Dave Eggers, every writer feels psychic pain at the sending off of their work. Yes, that's right, I dared to make a blanket statement about creative types!

Third - somewhat a fluster... that's cute. Really endearing. Tell me, are you a Jane Austin fan? Just curious.

 
At 8:06 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

I've always loved almost pointlessly flowery phrases dropped into where they're not expected.

It's not to be pretentious but more for the sort of feeling like inserting a pre-Raphaelite beauty in the middle of a William Blake bleakness.

Hmm. "Blake bleakness" - a nice accident.

 
At 8:06 pm, Blogger Mozza said...

It seems like you have a choice: writing to be read by others, which is a bit show-off, or writing for yourself, which amounts to intellectual masturbation. Personally, I live with both guilts.

 
At 8:09 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

Could I write for myself then show it to others, Mozza ?

You know what they say: "Two sins combined leave time for another bonus sin".

 
At 9:07 pm, Blogger Jen Jordan said...

You know what they say: "Two sins combined leave time for another bonus sin".

You should stop listening to 'them'. They give notoriously self-serving and heavily rationalized advice. Although the thought of a bonus sin is quite... intoxicating.

In fact, I feel a sin being committed in the immediate future.

 
At 8:34 am, Blogger Ray Banks said...

So if you write for yourself and then show people, is that the equivalent of public obscenity?

Just wondering...

 
At 5:09 pm, Blogger Jen Jordan said...

That is odd. Exhibitionism without takiing your clothes off. Kind of takes the fun out of it, really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home