Tuesday, January 4

My sheep refuse to do jumping tricks.

Marvellous.

First day back at work proper after the Christmas and New Year break and I'm simply unable to sleep. Strains of "Insomnia" by Faithless and that awful "We're....wide awake" sting from Timmy Mallets days gone by come to mind.

The sheep that are hired at times such as this seem far too busy getting their next round in to even think about fence jumping. It's against union rules, apparently.

My brain seems to be in what Julian Cope once described as "psychic driving" - that feeling that you're travelling a long straight open road... but only in your head. As this "arch drude" can do no wrong in my eyes I shall use this phrase from now on.

I sometimes get this though - if I know I have to be up early for something and I have a few days warning I seem to over-compensate and don't fully shut down, seemingly just in case I don't wake up in time.

Looks like hot drinks and watching some old cosy slightly soft focus film tonight to encourage myself to zone out properly.

Wish me luck. It's going to be a long first day back.

2 Comments:

At 8:44 am, Blogger Ray Banks said...

Tell me about it. I'm not even there yet and I feel sicker than that skinny Olson twin.

 
At 9:47 am, Blogger Jen Jordan said...

That is the worst feeling. OK, not the worst, but it's up there. You go to bed early, practice 'good sleep hygiene' and lay like a lump as your eyes dry out. The next day, as your eyes open and you realize some sort of sleep must have occurred, you realize that you feel as though your swimming on dry land. Caffeine isn't going to wake you up, but it will keep you from slipping into a coma.

I've actually been so tired I've driven to work with the window open in below freezing temps to keep myself alert. Had a bit of a fever at the time, of course.

God, I can babble!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home