Thursday, February 23

"Out of my mind on Cope and speed"

So, then, Julian Cope at the Northumbria Uni last night ?

Fan-bloody-tastic - I was stood about two feet in front of the Drude himself for the 2 hours of the show !! When they rocked they REALLY rocked (hence the ears still ringing quite badly) and Julian did a little solo bit part way through with just him and a guitar. For the main belly of the set it was a very loud, "goes up to 11", three-piece of Mr Cope, regailing us with vocals, bass and anecdotes, Mr E on drums & facepaint and Dogan (once of Spiritulised) on lead and pulling rock shapes.

As promised they dropped in some old stuff including a few Teardrop Explodes too. Oh, and some great between song banter about Red Bull, kissing girls in the crowd and posing for potential puzzled onlookers at motorway services at 4am in the morning.

In a (just corrected) running order of:-

Nothing To Lose Except My Mind
White Bitch Comes Good
She's Got A Ring On Her Finger [And Another One Through Her Nose]
Books
Double Vegetation
Shot Down
Highway To The Sun
World War Pigs
Mr. Invasion
Sunspots
Hanging Out & Hung Up On The Line
Soul Desert
I'm Your Daddy
Julian H Cope
Out Of My Mind On Dope & Speed
Robert Mitchum
Zoroaster
Hell Is Wicked
World Shut Your Mouth
Spacehopper


I couldn't believe he played 'Robert Mitchum' AND "out of my mind.....' as these were two tracks I love and was hoping he'd play but to get both of them was a most pleasant surprise - I was well happy !!

He was bloody funny when he was rambling on between tracks - a proper entertainer. Oh, and he was wearing the exact same gloves as me and he noticed part way through and smiled.

How good is he still and how much fun was the show ? I bought three CD's at the show and ordered two more online when I got in. That's how good he is/was !

That'll take me up to 23 Cope albums !!

4 Comments:

At 3:33 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

The big reason I don't mind posting so gushingly for the last couple of gigs is that in amongst my excitement is a large stripe of relief. Bauhaus, Cope and the upcoming Numan in April are all things I'd either thought I'd missed my chance to see or people that could so easily have let me down by being lackluster or otherwise past their prime..

The only thing worse than not seeing an act is seeing them at a later point in their career and them being an awful pastiche of themselves. You know me and music - that would just kill me.

Luckily (and you'll have to excuse the next bit) neither of the two so far have been - quite the opposite in fact. Both shows were quite different from each other but exceeded my hopes.

One of these days I will be let down…..but not yet.

 
At 2:01 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

Very kind of you - glad you understand !

Luckily for you my next one isn't until Numan in April - knowing my somewhat erratic posting levels at the moment there may not be many between now and then ! ;o)

 
At 6:36 pm, Blogger Jen Jordan said...

23 cd's and 547,290 !'s.

Now that's love!

You won't find such use of ! for you standard billboard, overly produced warbling stick with plastic boobs music!

 
At 6:44 pm, Blogger Just Somebody said...

On the upside I found two more old Teardrop Explodes albums dead cheap in town so I now have 25.

The flipside is that he has 39 out already so I'm STILL 14 behind !

:0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home