Tuesday, February 21

Gleehead Detector



So, what have I been doing since the last post ? That's the last post on here not that somebody has played 'the last post', just in case you were wondering.

Well, I've been blogging like mad. Ah. No. I've not been, have I ? Like the above it's an easy mistake to make.

Still, I'm here now as it's a pre-gig mix of nervousness and excitement as I'm off to se Julian "Arch Drude" Cope tomorrow night. I've had his albums on shuffle for the last day or two and I'm realising that there could be no way I can 'swat up' ready for the show.

He's vowed to play a two hour set or more each night, varying what they play from his 20yr history so as to feature as many tracks as possible over the tour. He's even said in a newspaper interview this morning that they'll be squeezing in some rarely play Teardrop Explodes tracks too. I smiled a big "w00t" smile at that bit. Maybe I'll hear 'Perky Jellypop Jean' ?

With 39 albums, some of them doubles, under his belt I know it's going to be a night to surprise and amuse. For all his eccentricity I've always found him to have a pretty genius turn of phrase and the sleight of hand he uses to shoe-horn wordplay into his lyrics is a constant throughout. Add to that the ability to hit the floor as a three piece Stooges wig-out or a gentle acoustic solo and even the nature of the show is up for guessing.

Either way, it's one of the most daunting gigs I've had lined up for a while due to the unpredictability of him. Hmm. If I know he'll be like that, does that make it predictable instead ? I'm confused now.

As for the title, that's something for the Cope-heads out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home