Saturday, September 3

Whirled in action.

I was feeling a little out of sorts so trawled round what other people were blogging to get some sort of inspiration. I read this post over here and it got me thinking. As ever that got me blogging again. Funny how that works.

Anyway, back to the post itself.

With all that's going on at the moment (war, bombings, tsunami, Katrina, bird flu, etc, etc) I find myself more and more thinking that it's simply the ecosystem finding ways to balance itself out.

You know all those "foxes and chickens" simulations that have been around since the 70's ? That's the sort of thing. Whenever one single thing becomes too big nature finds a way to scale it back. Sometimes it's controlled from within and sometimes from an external force. Always controlled though.

It's all at different scales too. Mould on a surface, families in a street, empires on one or more continents, species.....all subject to the same thing.

As much as we think we're superior enough to have full control over our world we're still animals on the planet. Yeah, we have bikes and cushions and tanks and jello but we're still part of the system and not above it.

With the rising population is it no real wonder that something gives ?

I'm not absolving us from blame though. We're obviously doing all we can to accelerate things happening to us - that is where our stupidly blind human superiority complex comes in. Still though I wonder if even that, our actions, are part of the system in place.

I guess I'm in the sort of period in my life where I'm already looking for pointers towards the what's, where's and how's and all these things - all automatically given the "disaster" tag by lazy media without even checking a thesaurus - focus my view outside my own situation.

Only natural I guess.....like everything else.........

2 Comments:

At 5:11 pm, Blogger Onkroes said...

The theory that nature balances itself out is very old and one that I personally have a lot of sympathy (empathy?) with.

It's a bit like 'climate change' - mankind may be accelerating the process, but it appears to have been happening anyway. Cycles have been identified (from trees in the amazon amongst other places) that show this heating up and cooling down of our climate has been happening over and over again since the earth began.

I think that if mankind was wiped off the face of the planet, the earth would just dust itself off and carry on with the next set of events, the next species, etc.

Oh it all feels so futile sometimes. Kidding.

 
At 9:01 pm, Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Nature is brutal. In our smugness we tend to separate ourselves from every other living thing. In our minds we elevate ourselves and are truly convinced that we are above such things.

There IS a balance to be had, it can be found almost anywhere you look. Seems like Ma Nature just rang the bell for the next round.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home