Tuesday, September 6

Small Venue + Big bands = Zero chance.

"The gigs been moved to The Cluny - it's really small - a great place to see the show"

I should have had alarm bells ringing.

"Have you been to the Cluny before ? It's small in there - damn it's gonna be loud"

Nope, still didn't think ahead.

I turned up pretty stoked for the show but found out about 100 yards that it was cancelled. We nearly turned round and wandered off somewhere else but decided to pop down there for a pint all the same - glad I did.



Incantation

(Joe Lombard, John McEntee, Kyle Severn)

Having nattered with some of the guys from Incantation (Kyle is a gent) and Nile (Dallas's dedication to doing it right rocks) I've got maybe a more chilled view of things than I would done otherwise.



Nile
(Dallas Toler-Wade, Karl Sanders, George Kollias)

Hearing them talk you could tell they really had a genuine desire to play. No bones about that. They were there, the kit was there but the venue simply didn't have the size to get the show going. The Cluny is a nice place, quite easy going and Dallas was even saying as such, but the logistics of getting the kit in place simply wasn't there. Seems the size of the space needed to get the backline setup was never checked fully with regard to the venue when it was moved there.

It was quite nice in a way to hear somebody in a band actually talking about not wanting to take fans money putting a shitty show on, to feel that they were somehow screwing the people who'd turned up for something half-assed. That would have been easy but they weren't into taking the money and running.

The bands hung out there for a good few hours, both in the bar and outside on the grass, talking to fans and generally just meeting anybody who wanted to go up and say hi. They didn't have to but stuck it out. Seemed good people, one and all. Annoyed at not playing but trying to be as chilled about it as they could.

Yeah, if I'm honest, I'm gutted they didn't play but now I've heard their view on the why and what I can see that in the cold light of day it was the right choice.

They'll get some grief from fans who've either not gone or haven't thought it through but I'd say for those fans to think if they'd rather have an honest response or a rip-off gig.

In these days of the money speaking for some bands I know which means more in the long term.

2 Comments:

At 4:16 am, Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

I know you were looking forward to it, so I'm sorry to hear of this. Hey, next time just have them play at your flat...

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Just Somebody said...

Play at my flat ?

I think the old early 19th century walls would crumble when that volume hit home !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home